How To Apply
Applications for the 2018-19 National Principals and Principal Supervisors Academy will open in mid-March of 2019. Note that Relay partners directly with central offices, CMOs, districts, and funders in the fall to allocate seats to our programs. Please work with your central point of contact as they ultimately decide who will attend the fellowship from your organization.
Please click "interest form" below to contact us and express your interest in the program. First, you must be nominated by one of our partner organizations to attend the Academy. See Admissions Criteria below for more information.
Next, complete the Relay admissions application, which includes education and employment information. You'll also need to provide these materials:
- Official transcripts
To apply to the National Principals Academy programs, applicants must be sponsored by one of our national partner organizations. If your school district or network is not yet collaborating with Relay, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the partner selection process.
Relay requires that National Principals Academy fellows meet the following criteria:
- Fellow is in a position to coach at least one teacher throughout the course of the program;
- Fellow is in a role that allows him/her to lead and complete assessments by delivering professional development, leading aspects of schoolwide student and staff culture, and leading data and feedback with at least one teacher; and
- Fellow embodies a threefold mindset of personal responsibility, openness to feedback, and relentless work ethic.
- Fellow must have maintained a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of a 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0, however, may be admitted with a recommendation from their district or school management organization.
- Fellow must have an official, degree-conferred undergraduate transcript that shows proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Search your undergraduate institution in the College Source Online database to determine if it is accredited. If it is not, contact your campus for guidance. See “Transcript Requirements” below for further instructions on submitting transcripts.
Relay seeks to work with partner districts and school networks that have the right structures in place to support their fellows during this transformative leadership experience. Use our self-assessment tool to see if your district or network is ready to sponsor school leaders for the National Principals Academy and implement the levers of leadership.
Applicants must send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (even where a degree was not earned). Relay accepts electronic and hard-copy official transcripts.
Electronic transcripts must meet all the following criteria:
- Sent via a third-party website to email@example.com (Relay’s Office of Admissions and Enrollment) with instructions for accessing the transcript via a secure username and password;
- Verified official by a third-party agency; and
- From a U.S.-based institution.
Hard-copy transcripts must arrive in a sealed, unopened institutional envelope, addressed to:
Relay Graduate School of Education
Office of Admissions and Enrollment
40 West 20th Street, Floor 7
New York, NY 10011
Applicants who attended an educational institution outside of the United States must submit an official hard-copy transcript in the institution’s sealed envelope to Relay AND have a course-by-course conversion of the international transcript translated into the American system by WES or another accredited Foreign Credential Evaluators (Find a list here.).
Admission to Relay is on a rolling basis, so we strongly recommend that interested applicants apply as soon as possible. The Office of Admissions and Enrollment will only evaluate completed applications submitted by the final deadline.
The first section of the online admissions application will ask questions about your intended Relay program. It’s very important that you answer those questions accurately, as follows:
Q. Select the option below that BEST describes your intended academic and certification pathway.
A.School Leadership: Principal and Principal Manager Fellowship (NPAF)
Q. Which Relay campus would you like to apply to?
Q. Will you be pursuing a degree through Relay?
Q. Will you be pursuing state certification through Relay?
After submitting the online portion of the application, make sure to take these additional steps:
- Prioritize submitting an official electronic or hard-copy undergraduate transcript demonstrating that a baccalaureate degree was conferred;
- Monitor your most up-to-date application status, including receipt of transcripts, by logging into the admissions portal and checking your Admissions Checklist;
- Look out for an email informing you that a decision has been rendered on your application; and, if admitted,
- Log in to the admissions portal and accept our offer of admissions and the terms of your admissions agreement.
40 W. 20th St., 7th Floor
New York, NY 10011