Instructional Leadership Professional Development
A summer learning experience for school-based leaders to strengthen their foundational instructional leadership.
The Instructional Leadership Professional Development Program (ILPD) is designed to complement Relay’s National Principal Academy Fellowship. Ideal participants include the school leadership teams that work alongside the principals attending NPAF. (For example, assistant principals, instructional coaches, etc.) This approach allows the entire leadership team to develop their skills in the same core instructional levers. However, the program is open to any school leader who wishes to attend independently.
Research has shown that an aligned, focused school leadership team can have a powerful impact on their school community. Through the ILPD program, school leadership team members learn, practice, and plan alongside their principal, developing common student-centered instructional leadership skills. We delve deeply into areas such as:
- Centering Equity: Strengthening awareness and strategies to systematically increase opportunity and remove barriers for historically underserved students.
- Instructional Rigor: Building deep knowledge of the instructional shifts and evidence of teaching and learning required by new standards
- Coaching: Building skills in observation and coaching, to support all teachers
- Data-Informed Instruction: Leading teams in effective lesson internalization and response to student learning needs.
The ILPD is a 5 day program (3.5 days in person, and 3 half-day virtual sessions), held during the summer.
Participants will benefit from:
- Expert faculty: Learn from experienced practitioners who have demonstrated effectiveness in the field.
- Feedback: All of our sessions are designed to have participants practicing and receiving actionable feedback as they grow their instructional leadership skills.
- A network of peers: Join a national network of instructional leaders who can help support implementation and problem solve critical challenges
What makes a great partnership? Learn about more about what kind of organizations we work with and how we support them in Supporting Conditions and Infrastructure
Or, look for answers to any general questions you may have on our FAQs page.
ILPD participants will have the option to attend summer intensives in June or July. The time commitment and content are the same for each cohort.
Option 1: June Cohort | Denver, CO
June 7-9, 2023
Orientation and two 4- hour (half-day) sessions | Virtual
June 12-15, 2023
4 days | In-person
Option 2: July Cohort | Atlanta, GA
July 12-14, 2023
Orientation and two 4-hour (half day) sessions | Virtual
July 17- 20, 2023
4 days | In-person
$9,000 per participant
The program fee covers:
- High-quality instructional professional development from experienced leaders
- All course materials, licensing fees, and online access to electronic versions of resources
- Hotel rooms
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks
Partner organizations should request seats for their leaders by the following deadlines. Seats are filled on a first-come-first-served basis and may fill up quickly.
Seat Request Form Opens: January 2nd, 2023
Seat Request Submission Deadline: May 1st, 2023
For more deadlines and details on requesting seats, see The Partnership Process.
For general questions about Leadership Programs, see our FAQs.
Relay’s Leadership Programs are an excellent way to develop and sharpen your leadership skills.
—Lakeesha Ramdhanie, Principal, KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools
“The various offerings encourage continuous learning in areas that help to improve your practice as a leader and implement in real time within your school or organization. The resources are great and the intentional focus on practice encourages a faster way to improve and make a positive impact. I am grateful for the opportunity I’ve had and look forward to applying my new learning.”
Principal, KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools
Partnering with Relay
Learn more about how to partner, including important application dates and how we support you. This page is relevant to past partners, but especially those who are new to Relay.
Ready to request seats?
If you’re already a partner of Relay, sign up your staff for programs: